Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Betrothed

Dear Internets,

The time has come to tell you that R and I have decided to stop our sin livin', and make it all legal and therefore apparently sin-less. Yes indeedy, we are going to get hitched!

It is very strange. We are very laid back people. I have talked a lot about why I didn't feel the need to get married in the past, so it is kind of strange to be doing it now. We finally decided it would be easier to just be married, and I think we also want the acknowledgment of our partnership that making it legal gives us. It has at times been frustrating to say I moved here with my boyfriend, and not have people realize how important that relationship was.

Anyway, getting married is crazy. We told people 3 whole days ago and those three days have been full of insanity over where and when and how much to spend and I feel sometimes like I have been possessed. We had some good talks about it last night, and I think after the first flurry of excitement we can settle down and thinking of something cheap and cool and like us. We are really into it not being a big deal. We've been together for 5 years, lived together for 3 and known each other for nearly 12. Because of this, we don't expect this to change anything, although it is weird how some seem to see this as us finally committing to each other, when in my opinion that happened years ago.

In other news, I have embarked on an exceedingly boring but important part of my dissertation which involves me listening to tapes and timing them with a stopwatch. So boring! And I have 45 of these 45 minute tapes. It is really impeding my motivation. I did get a decent amount of work done today, but I have also had a terrible terrible headache. I don't know what is wrong with me -- I have been getting these awful headaches the last few weeks.

OK, I'm off to do more work. The good news is it is beautiful here today! 65!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Congrats to you both, in a cool and not-a-big-deal sort of way ;). I can empathize.

DancingFish said...

Congrats! The whole wedding thing is only as big a deal as you make it so I'm sure it will be as laid back and cool as you and your partner.

Good luck with the tapes- I spend my life timing things on videotapes and that is boring enough. I can only imagine how unexciting audio tapes can get to be...

Anonymous said...

It is crazy. I think I am possessed, so I totally get what you mean. I think you and R are better about not getting sucked into stupid things than I am. I will help you be cool and laid-back by being a warning. Don't let this happen to you!

:)