Wednesday, March 21, 2007

books!

I've been reading on the subway a lot lately, causing me to just whip through books like there's no tomorrow.

15. The Gatekeepers by Jacques Steinberg
This book was so good -- it was a complete page turner. The author is a New York Times reporter who watches Wesleyan's admissions process. He has total access to the admissions officers, as well as to several high school students as they apply and try to decide where to go for college. The book is really well written and I was so interested in everyone in it. It reminded me of the documentary "Spellbound" even though this is a book and not a movie.

16. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
This was also an excellent book. As the title says, Bryson rights about the history of the world. He does it really clearly and engagingly.

17. Comfort Me With Apples by Ruth Reichl
This is the second of Reichl's memoirs about being a food critic and cook. I liked this one a lot, also, although she didn't always flesh out parts of her story I was most interested in. But perhaps those were also the ones most painful to her or too private. Also a very good book and I recommend it highly.

No comments: