Sunday, November 09, 2008

books!

73. Three Nights in August by Buzz Bissinger
This book is a really in depth look at a three game series between the Cardinals and the Cubs. Along the way it is also a lot about Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa. I was really impressed with how honest the book was, and how much access LaRussa gave the author. There are things in there that do not necessarily reflect well on the characters involved. It was also really cool to read about all the strategy in baseball, and all the quick decisions the manager makes. If you are at all interested in baseball, you should read this book. Although maybe not if you are a Cubs fan. :)

74. The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart by Lawrence Block
My first Lawrence Block book. R's mom gave us a sack of these, as R enjoys them. I have not been making it too the library as much as usual so I've been picking these up when I need a fun read. I really liked this book. It is about a thief who owns a bookstore. He meets a mysterious woman, attends a Bogart film festival with her, and keeps involved in a mystery. Mom, you might like these! This is the only one of this series in our sack o' books, but I plan to get more from the library.

75. A Long Line of Dead Men by Lawrence Block
This is a different series, about Matt Scudder who was a police man, is a sober alcoholic (at the time of this book) and a private detective. This is not really a standard mystery, as there is no chance for the reader to figure it out. It is more a novel about crime with a really interesting main character. I liked this book as well, although not as much as The Burglar Who...

76. What the Best College Teachers Do by Ken Bain
A very good book about how to be a good college teacher. Bain did a multiyear study of college teachers that had a big impact on students, then dissects what made them special. Sometimes it was frustrating, because while I agreed with his points, it was hard to think how I would ever have the time to implement them. I plan to buy a copy of this book so I can study it more in depth. I recommend this book to anyone who is a teacher or interested in teaching and learning.

No comments: