Monday, July 07, 2008

books

50. The Last Colony by John Scalzi
The last in this sci-fi series by John Scalzi. This gets us back to the characters from the first book, and I really enjoyed it. I read it a little bit ago, so it is fuzzy in my memory, but it was a good read.

51. Killing Mr. Watson by Peter Matthiessen
This is a fiction book based on a true story and real people in the Everglades in the 1920s. It was a little weird and kind of meandering, without a lot of "plot", but I enjoyed it.

52. Violent Ward by Len Deighton
This is a cheapy paperback about a PI in LA. It was pretty random and there were some major plot holes, but it was an ok airplane read.

53. Beach Music by Pat Conroy
This is a really really bad book. Don't read it. I am pretty upset that I finished it. It is a weird story about a guy from South Carolina whose wife commits suicide, after which he moves to Italy with his daughter. They eventually come back to South Carolina and they are about a million side plots about all the characters in the present, in their childhood and during the Vietman war. None of the characters were realistic and it just was no good.

No comments: