Saturday, January 12, 2008

books

3. Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
One of the best books I read last year was "Extremely Loud and Incredibley Close", so I thought I should try out the author's other book. I really liked this book as well, and it was similar to "Extremely Loud..." in it's nonlinear structure, but I did not like this one as much. The characters were not as interesting to me, and I though the books was a little longer than it should have been. Still a very good book, but I lost interest towards the end.

4. Kate Remembered by A. Scott Berg
For my last birthday, R bought me chocolates from this store which we later found out was Katharine Hepburn's favorite chocolate shop, and is mentioned in this book by Berg. I had also read Berg's biography on Lindbergh years ago and really liked it, so I thought I would get this book. I didn't have a particular attachment to Hepburn before, but this book made me admire her quite a lot. It is interesting because it isn't really a biography, it is more the author's memories of their friendship over the last 20 years of Hepburn's life. It is a little weird at times, how the author is so present in the story, but he is a good writer and it is an interesting book.

5. Shopaholic and Baby by Sophie Kinsella
Another in this fun series. I started to worry with the book before this one, where I thought the main character, Becky, was getting boring to read about, but giving her a baby made her interesting again. I especially liked how the author didn't totally change Becky because of her impending motherhood. She was still the same person. Very entertaining.

No comments: