Tuesday, November 13, 2007

books

85. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
This is the story of a prodigy graduating from high school who wonders what will become of the rest of his life. He has also been dumped by 19 Katherines. He goes on a road trip with his best friend, and tries to figure out a formula to predict relationships. This book is really great. I think it is technically a young adult novel, but it is really smart and well written and the characters are very engaging and interesting. Great book!

86. The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
This is a nonfiction book about the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago and about a serial killer kind of tangentially involved in the Fair. I've read other reviews that found the book kind of choppy, and like an unrelated string of trivia. In a way I agree with this, but liked it about the book. There is all kinds of interesting information about architecture and innovations that were introduced at the World's Fair. I found the serial killer parts less interesting, but the book as a whole was really fascinating and once I got into it I found it hard to put down.

No comments: