Friday, September 14, 2007

book!

70. The Valley of the Horses by Jean M Auel
Another sort of trashy book about prehistoric people. This one was also fun, although there was one major plot leap that bothered me some. I liked the animals Ayla tamed alot. Still a fun series and I will continue on with it.

71. Winds of Fate by Mercedes Lackey
The first book of a trilogy continuing the Arrows of the Queen series. This heroine is a little less vulnerable, and I will never love these as much as the other series, but still very good.

72. Dragon's Kin by Anne McCaffrey and Todd McCaffrey
OK, in my high school days the Dragonriders of Pern series was right up there with the Heralds of Valdemar as books I totally lost myself in. I just found out that McCaffrey wrote this one recently with her son, and then he wrote one all by himself. I was disappointed in some of the later Pern books written by Anne, but this one was just as good as the ones from her heyday. Very very good. I can't wait to read the one Todd wrote alone.

1 comment:

girl_in_greenwood said...

Ooh, thanks for the heads up on the new Pern books! I (heart) them also and didn't realize Anne's son was writing them now.

I think you might like the Temperance Brennan books - they're not fine literature or anything, but I think they're less trashy than the Kay Scarpetta books. Just be prepared to suspend your disbelief about the coincidences (there's a case that just happens to have clues in both Montreal and Chapel Hill! no way!).