Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Books!

3. The Old Comtemptibles by Martha Grimes
This is part of a mystery series all set in England. What can I say, I love books about the English police. This series is neat too, as each book is named after an actual pub. This one was pretty good, although the main character of the series was not in it too much, the secondary characters are really engaging so it was all ok.

4. Writing Your Dissertation in 15 Minutes A Day by Joan Bolker
I love this book, and have become somewhat obsessed with it. It really spoke to me and gave me a lot of hope that I can finish my dissertation one day. I think the best thing about it is that the author thinks of writing as part of the thinking process, and says it is supposed to be messy. She tries to help the reader embrace that early messiness so one can come up with a really powerful end product. I haven't stuck with all her techniques so far, but I find them really valuable and will most likely buy this book so I can keep referring to it as I write.

5. A Primate's Memoir by Robert Sapolsky
This book is so so so good! This was my 2nd reading of it. The book is the story of Sapolsky as he lives with and studies baboons over 20 years. He has amazing description of Africa and he really captures what it is like to do field research with primates. So many times during the book I was nodding in agreement. He also has a great sense of humor. Be warned, there is some very sad stuff at the end, but it makes the book that much more powerful.

4 comments:

Topher said...

C could perhaps use that book...do you own it? How much was it?

Laurie K said...

I do not own the book -- I got it from the library. It is paperback though so I think it is pretty cheap. I think there are many used ones floating around....

I think C might enjoy it as well.

Anonymous said...

I read the last book's title as "The Pirate's Memoir," and I was then confused that it was about baboons. I then realized my mistake, and I have to confess, I was slightly disappointed.

Please write a book entitled "The Pirate's Memoir," and I will buy many copies (5 at least).

Laurie K said...

Dude! I totally wish it was the Pirate's Memoir. That would rule. I love pirates.

I will get right to work on that book.