Friday, April 30, 2010

books

25. The All-True Travels and Adventures of Lidie Newton by Jane Smiley
I really like the main character of Lidie Newton, and was interested in the history of Kansas in the 1850s, but there was maybe too much history in this novel. Parts of it seemed like a dry history book and were kind of boring. By the end, I started to feel like Lidie's life got into too many twists and turns, and she didn't seem like the character I'd liked in the beginning. Still, a well-done historical novel about Kansas and Missouri and the dispute about slavery in these two states. Also, it was fun to be reminded of a time when Illinois was called "the west!"

26. Pretty Little Mistakes (A Do-Over Novel) by Heather McElhatton
A Choose Your Own Adventure for grown ups! This book is kind of fun for awhile, but really is mostly a novelty book. There are so many possible outcomes that even after spending a few hours on this I could not figure them all out. Mostly I was impressed at how hard it must have been to interweave so many stories. Read this if you miss Choose Your Own Adventure books or always wished they had way more possible outcomes.

27. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Very fun vampires in Louisiana story with romance and a mystery! If you want romantic vampires and a heroine who can stand up for herself, read this instead of Twilight! :)

28. Digital Fortress by Dan Brown
I read this on the plane because it was lying around the house and I could leave it behind at my destination. It was ok. Total fluff, secret spy stuff.

No comments: