Sunday, March 14, 2010

Books!

15. A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You by Amy Bloom
I read this collection of short stories for a book group I am in. I rate the whole collection so-so. A few of the stories really stuck with me, but overall they ran together and it was hard to differentiate them. Something about Amy Bloom just does not make an impression on me. I am sure I read here novel, "Away", but I have absolutely no memory of it aside from the cover.

16. The Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth Peters
More adventures of Amelia Peabody in Egypt. In this one she and her husband escape the boredom of having to live in England for their small son's sake and get involved with a crowd of eccentric characters in an excavation at the Valley of the Kings. Fun, like all these books are.

17. The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor
I debated between three and four stars (out of five)for this one. The premise of this book is that Alice Liddell, the inspiration for Alice in Wonderland, is indeed a princess from the actual land of Wonderland. I did like its originality and re-imagining of Alice in Wonderland. My only problem was that I thought the pacing seemed kind of weird and that huge chunks of time were leapt over, which was a little jarring. But still, a nice, fun, re-working of Alice in Wonderland that makes Alice into a pretty awesome warrior queen.

No comments: