Sunday, January 20, 2008

books

6. Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
This is the sequel to A Great And Terrible Beauty which I read last year, but may not have posted about. It is the story of a 16 year old girl in Victorian England who learns she has these kind of magical powers and is connected to a powerful group of women called The Order. I don't want to explain too much, as I don't want to give stuff away. I liked this book better than first one, and the more I think about it I am really enjoying these novels with a mystical/occult bent and strong female protagonists. I will be looking for the third book soon.

7. The Gum Thief by Douglas Coupland
I've enjoyed a number of Coupland's books, and this one is really good. It is about people working at Staples who write to each other back and forth in a journal, through letters, and there are also sections from one of the character's novels. Anyway, it is a very interesting structure, I found all the characters very vivid and real and really enjoyed this book.

No comments: