Tuesday, August 14, 2007


So, I got married a little over two weeks ago! It was super -- the wedding went just as we wanted, the weather was not rainy although all week the forecast had said it would pour, and everyone seemed to have fun. But I am so happy it is all over!

Many of our friends and fam arrived earlier in the week, so we had a full week prior of running around with them. The wedding festivities officially began on Thursday night when we all got together for a Circle Line Sunset cruise. Basically, a boat goes around lower Manhattan and back, so you can see it all in the light and then again in the sunset and the dark. It was really nice and everyone got to see the Statue of Liberty. The guide was pretty cheesy and talked ALL THE TIME but that added to the fun. :)

Friday we got legally married in City Hall, with our families around. That was a cool experience. We went early so I think we were the 2nd or 3rd of the day. we stood in various lines and then a very businesslike Justice of the Peace married us. It was short. Basically she asked if anyone knew of legal reasons we could not get married and then said, "do you? and you?" and then we were all legal. After that we looked at the courthouse from Law and Order and went to Chinatown for lunch.

In the evening on Friday we had a short rehearsal, and then hung out a bit in the park. Some of the guest went off to frolic while R and I hung with our families some more. By the end of the night we were soooo tired that we just went home.

On Saturday Matt came over to help us load up R's parents' van with our hula hoops, bottled water and water guns. We drove to the park and met my brothers who helped us carry it all to the ceremony site. My brother Keith did a great job of securing the perimeter so that some picnickers got angry at us. But I had a permit, so whatever!

People started arriving and we had the ceremony which went super well. It was officiated by the fabulous Shannon and photographed by Laura and my sister in law Sarah. Melinda said I should post the vows, so here they are:

"Shannon: Laurie, please recite your vows.


You have to believe we are magic
Nothin' can stand in our way
You have to believe we are magic
Don't let your aim ever stray
And if all your hopes survive
Your destiny will arrive
I'll bring all your dreams alive
For you

Shannon: Rick, please recite your vows.


We've got to hold on to what we've got

'Cause it doesn't make a difference if we make it or not.
We've got each other and that's a lot for love -
We'll give it a shot.
We're half way there –

Oooh Oohh

Livin' on a prayer
Take my hand

We'll make it I swear –

Oohhh Ohhh

Livin' on a prayer, living on a prayer.

We've got to hold on ready or not
You live for the fight when that’s all that you've got.

We're half way there - Livin' on a prayer

Shannon: Laurie, do you take Rick as forever yours faithfully?


I do.


Rick, do you take Laurie as forever yours faithfully?


I do.


I now pronounce you married."

After all that we hung around the park and had a rockin' bocce ball tournament, won by my brother Michael and his wife Sarah. Although Katie and Christer did a great job and came in 2nd. :) My mom went crazy with the water guns, and people kept getting hot dogs and ice cream from vendors in the park, so it was very cool.

After all that we went to John's Pizzeria in Times Square where there was much pizza eating and people made amazing use of the one hour of open bar! I was so proud. We also had super tasty cupcakes provided by Melinda, who sadly could not be there because someone else stole my wedding date a year in advance. Seriously, those were good cupcakes though. If the store was anywhere near me I would be super fat.

I was really happy we only had about 30 guests, because I got to talk to most people and had a really good time. At 11:30 the place was going to close, so we all left. R and I splurged on a taxi and came home and fed the cats. :)

It is funny, we both keep forgetting we are married as after he wedding was not very different than before. I think I am getting more used to it now.

Some of our friends and family stayed around a few more days so we hung out with them, and on Tuesday we left for Long Island wine country for two nights, which was really fun and relaxing, but I am tired of typing so will save that for another post.


girl_in_greenwood said...

Congratulations! I lerve your vows, too funny!

DancingFish said...

It sounds fantastic! Congrats!

Dori said...

Congrats! I love how you completely avoided the whole wedding industrial complex.