Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Books

38. Girlbomb: A Halfway Homeless Memoir by Janice Erlbaum
Erlbaum is (was?) a columnist for Bust Magazine, which is how I heard of this book. It is really good, well-written and interesting. Basically, Erlbaum leaves home when her mom keeps getting back together with an abusive man. She lives in a shelter and a group house for awhile, and the book is about what happens to her from about the ages of 15-18. Coming from my sheltered background where I spent my high school days watching Star Trek: TNG and listening to musical soundtracks, the stuff she got into is crazy, but she manages to come out ok. I think it could be really comforting for teenagers to read this and realize they can have an awful adolescence, yet making it out. Anyway, it was a good, interesting, well written book.

No comments: