Monday, May 17, 2010

books!

I think I will be caught up after this one!

38. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
As I said before, I decided to re-read some of my old childhood favorites. I actually remember the first time I read this I vowed to never read it again because it made me so sad. I was really angry at the author for writing such a sad book.

Paterson really treats the young characters in her book with a lot of dignity. This is, of course, a classic. On my recent re-read, though, I was troubled by an undercurrent of classism, but then I thought Paterson came around in the end. Anyway, Jess's poor parents are not treated in the best way, especially in comparison with Leslie's more well-off family. But part of that might be the point of view being so closely tied to Jess. Still, beautifully written book that really lets the young characters be full human beings.

39. A Summer to Die by Lois Lowry
From the title, you can tell that someone will die in this book. This is the story of two sisters who don't get along, and what happens when one of them becomes sick and, yes, dies. I will not apologize for spoilering as it is in the title and on the book jacket.

This book was ok, but I didn't think Lowry treated the subjects of the book with the same dignity and respect as Paterson does. I think I would have liked this book more if I hadn't read Bridge to Terabithia immediately afterwards.

40. Once Upon Stilletos by Shanna Swendson
This is the second in this series. I am really enjoying it for a fun, fluffy read. This book was a little less enjoyable than the first, as I thought it had a more meandering story that never really got the payoff I wanted. That said, the characters are all fun, and it is great to imagine fairies and wizards running around New York.

No comments: